Fostering Innovation: Combining bright young talent with proven industry experience
Every year we invite advanced students in the fields of life-science, computer science and business administration from all over the world to apply for participation in the Biopharma Innovation Cup. This initiative is designed to support the professional development of post-graduate students interested in a career in the pharmaceutical industry and to foster innovation from a promising new generation of academic talent.
The Biopharma Innovation Cup brings together a promising new generation of talents in a meeting of the minds with senior management, active researchers and accomplished retirees of our biopharmaceuticals division.
The Cup 2017 will take place near Frankfurt, Germany (June 18-23, 2017).
Travel, accommodation and food expenses will be paid by Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Invited for application are post-graduate students in the life sciences field on their way towards a PhD in biology, medicine, biotech, bioinformatics, computer science, data science, biochemistry, chemistry, pharmacy, engineering or related fields as well as advanced MBA students or recent MBA graduates with an interest in the pharmaceutical business and a background in life sciences, also postdocs can apply.
This program is not open to U.S. healthcare professionals.
30 students will be selected. During a week-long Innovation Summer Camp, participants will work together in small teams in a highly stimulating and competitive environment to:
- Learn the essentials about research & development within the pharmaceutical industry.
- Understand how drugs are successfully discovered, developed and brought to market.
- Get to know our biopharmaceuticals division and learn about career options.
- Work as part of a team to generate new ideas in the areas Oncology, Immuno-Oncology, Autoimmune Diseases, Medicinal Chemistry, Protein Engineering and Big Data.
- Evaluate the ideas from a technical and business perspective and build a convincing business plan.
- Network with the brightest students from all over the world.
The jury, consisting of senior managers and external experts, will select the best business plan and present the winning team with the Biopharma Innovation Cup award and EUR 20,000 (EUR 5,000 to the runner-up).
Hall of Fame - Winning Teams